Slamming doors is a bit of a problem because not only they startle people but they are pretty unpleasant and annoying to experience especially if the force of the wind/pressure is hard which makes a really loud disturbing sound.
Are you looking for an effective way to stop a door from slamming and prevent it for good? well, you at the right place! In this article, I am going to share with you step by step techniques to stop your door from slamming shut, so that you can enjoy a quieter peaceful space.
What Causes a Door to Slam Shut?
There are certain things that may cause slamming doors, some are obvious than others but the most common causes include:
- Broken/Worn Door Hinges
- Excessive Winds coming through the windows
- Old/Weaker Doors
- Improper Door Installation
- Closing with too much Pressure
5 Best Ways to Keep a Door from Slamming
1. Install an Auto-Door Closer
This is by far one of the most effective ways to prevent your door from slamming since this is an automatic door closer, it makes the process easier and will keep the door from slamming even against high-pressure winds and force.
What I like about automatic anti door slam closer is the fact that they are pretty straight-forward, easy to install and affordable.
Although there are many Auto-Door closers, The one I personally recommend is the Door Closer Fs-1306 Automatic.
- High-Quality Hardware at a Great Value: Designed for low to medium traffic areas, our...
- Secure & Seamless: Don’t let the door hit you on the way out! Our hydraulic door...
- Fully Adjustable: With two independent valves, you can adjust both the sweep motion...
What I personally like about this auto anti-slam door closer is the fact that it is adjustable to set the ease of opening and closing of your door and pretty affordable for the Quality you get.
What’s also cool about Fs-1306 is the fact that you can it on almost any type of door including metal doors and is made from aluminum which is a plus since plastic can get worn out very easily.
How to Install the Automatic Door Closer
Installing this is very easy and straight-forward and almost all closers come with a user manual with a step by step guide, however, if you are not sure, this video should help you.
2. Inspect your Door Hinges
As you might have seen some of the causes of slamming doors, you know that worn hinges or poorly installed door hinges may cause the door to be weaker when opening and closing, so when it experiences some force the door may slam.
That is why it is essential for you to inspect and check the door hinges to ensure they are still in good condition and they are installed appropriately.
One way to check if they are installed correctly is by opening your door at an angle (90-degree angle is recommended) and then use a leveling device to check for any imbalances.
If the hinges are balanced then that’s great! the last thing you need to check is the condition of the hinges, this is very crucial since worn or damaged hinges may cause the door to slam when you close or open it.
If the hinges are damaged, you will have to replace them, don’t worry it very simple to replace them all you have to do is:
- In order to save time and energy start by removing them one by one and replace each with a new one immediately after removing one instead of removing all of them at once.
- Take a screw and begin at the top, start by unscrewing the top hinge and replace it with a new one, then move on to the next one.
- Tighten the screws after adding the new hinge.
- Do this for all of them and make sure you check if they are balanced and aligned.
3. Use a Weatherstripping Kit
Weatherstrips are great because not only the prevent the door from slamming but they are great for soundproofing too, reducing unwanted external meanwhile keeping the door from slamming, installing these is like killing two birds with one stone really.
This is very easy to do all you have to do after getting a weatherstripping kit is:
- Measure the gap between your door and the frame
- Simply attach the weatherstrip (Self-adhesive)
The most affordable and effective weatherstrips I recommend is Soundproof Weatherstripping Door Draft Stopper.
- ⭐ ALL IN ONE KIT FOR DOOR… to adhesive and seal it 360°, not just sides. The...
- ★ EXPEL OUTSIDE NOISE… to sleep better, focus more, & enjoy a comfortable...
- ★ KEEP OUT DUST & BUGS… that sneak through door cracks.A tight insulation seal...
4. Attach Felt Pads on the Door
Using felt pads to stop slamming doors is a simple technique you can try, the idea is very simple since we know felt pads are mostly used on the floor, one trick you can do is to cut small felt pads and attach them at the top and the bottom of your door to prevent the door from hitting the frame loudly when closing and opening.
5. Use a Door Stop
One of the most affordable and easy ways to keep your door from slamming is to make use of a door stopper, This is great because it will prevent the door from slamming but may not be the best solution out of the four I’ve discussed above due to the fact that the door may remain open when you are using it, but it is worth it because it works.
There are many door stoppers on the market and to be fair most of them are good and will do the job, especially if the main thing that causes your door to slam shut is strong winds coming through your windows.
Final Thoughts on Keeping a Door from Slamming
There are different ways you can prevent slamming doors and the techniques and tips I’ve discussed above should help you significantly, one thing to be careful of, is when choosing a door anti-slam you make sure that you go for aluminum because those works like magic compared to plastic.
I hope you found this article helpful.